Shipping a motorcycle can be a daunting task, especially if you have never done it before. Whether you are moving across the country or sending a motorcycle to a friend, there are several things you should know about motorcycle shipping services. In this article, we will cover everything you need to know about motorcycle shipping services, including the different types of shipping methods, how to prepare your motorcycle for shipping, and what to expect during the shipping process.
Types of Motorcycle Shipping Services
There are several different types of motorcycle shipping services available, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. The most common types of motorcycle shipping services include:
- Open-Air Transport: This is the most affordable and commonly used method of motorcycle shipping. The motorcycle is loaded onto an open-air trailer and transported to its destination. While this method is cost-effective, it does leave the motorcycle exposed to the elements, which can lead to damage from weather, debris, and other hazards.
- Enclosed Transport: This method involves transporting the motorcycle in an enclosed trailer, which provides protection from the elements and other hazards. This is a more expensive option than open-air transport, but it is recommended for high-value or rare motorcycles.
- Crated Transport: This is the most secure method of motorcycle shipping, as the motorcycle is packed inside a wooden crate for protection. This method is typically more expensive than open-air or enclosed transport, but it is ideal for shipping rare or vintage motorcycles.
Preparing Your Motorcycle for Shipping
Before you ship your motorcycle, there are several steps you should take to ensure that it is properly prepared for transport. These steps include:
- Clean the motorcycle: Before you ship your motorcycle, it is important to clean it thoroughly to remove any dirt, dust, or debris that could scratch the paint or damage the motorcycle during transport.
- Remove any accessories: If your motorcycle has any accessories or aftermarket parts, it is best to remove them before shipping. This includes saddlebags, windshields, and other non-essential items.
- Check for damage: Before you ship your motorcycle, inspect it for any damage or scratches. Take photos of any existing damage so that you can document it before the motorcycle is shipped.
- Drain the fuel tank: It is important to drain the fuel tank before shipping your motorcycle. This helps to prevent leaks and reduces the risk of fire during transport.
- Disable the alarm: If your motorcycle has an alarm system, it is important to disable it before shipping to avoid any false alarms during transport.
What to Expect During the Shipping Process
Once your motorcycle is prepared for shipping, you can expect the following during the shipping process:
- Pick-up and delivery: The shipping company will arrange to pick up your motorcycle from your location and deliver it to the destination address.
- Tracking: Most motorcycle shipping companies provide online tracking, which allows you to monitor the progress of your motorcycle during transport.
- Insurance: Most shipping companies provide insurance coverage for your motorcycle during transport. Make sure to ask about the level of coverage and any additional fees that may apply.
- Delivery time: The delivery time will depend on the shipping method you choose and the distance between the pick-up and delivery locations. Open-air transport typically takes longer than enclosed or crated transport.
Transporting a motorcycle can be a stressful experience, but with the right preparation and knowledge, you can ensure that your motorcycle arrives at its destination safely and securely. When choosing a motorcycle shipping service, consider the type of transport that best suits your needs, prepare your motorcycle properly for transport, and stay informed throughout the shipping process. By following these guidelines, you can enjoy a worry-free motorcycle shipping experience.